Turn off "Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration is enabled"
In XP/2003 I can turn off the "Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration is enabled" in IE in the Add/Remove programs.

How do I do this in Windows Server 2003 / Longhorn?

Ian

July 27th, 2007 2:52pm

This hiding of features is what bugs me about Vista and Server 2008. Things that used to be easy to find are scattered around.

A matrix or search toolof how it was done in a prior OS and the same task is done in the current OS would lead to better adaption of Vista and 2008.

For example there is no Add/Remove Programs an Windows Features in 2008 like it is in 2003, XP Pro, 2000 or Win98. Moving it to features at least requires a breadcrumb in the prior location.

Stuff that was so easy with a Right click Properties is now 3-4 more layers down.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 12th, 2008 10:41pm

On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 03:14:44 +0000, K.Kong wrote:

I have just installed Server 2008 for the first time.? But the documentation is still of Server 2003 vintage.

res://iesetup.dll/IESechelp.htm#manage on my system says:

Go to Control Panel and then?*Add or Remove Programs*.? I assume it's*Program and Features*.

Then it says go to *Add/Remove Windows Components*.? I assume it's now*Turn Windows features on or off*.

Well, it's nowhere to be found?under *Turn Windows features on or off*.

Open Server Manager. Look at the far right side of the section labeled
Security Inform

July 8th, 2010 1:47pm

After setting both admins and users to off, users found in Remote Desktop group on our Terminal Services Server still has IESC enabled.  Is there any other places to check?  GPO shows no added config for IESC.  It's running win2008 ent 32-bit.

July 16th, 2010 4:15pm

On Server 2003, this option is the best way to disable enhanced security on I.E.

February 10th, 2011 4:52pm

Remove "Internet Explorer Enhanced Security" using Add\Remove programs Don't bother to try and configure it.
July 11th, 2011 4:11pm

Fuck you microsoft.  yet another asshole move.  Lets make it really fucking frustrating....

I find this sentiment to NOT BE ABUSIVE and is an accurate summary of the situation.

Thank you WindowsBlows if only our squeeky little voices made a difference.

My observation is this:  Even after disabling IE ESC as described above I am reminded with EVERY SINGLE page

that IE ESC is not turned on with a large yellow bar at the top.  Which is really annoying. Would love to turn off the yellow bar.

I find some obscure thing called    f i r e f o x    and     c h r o m e  working really well and frustration free.

I want less frustration.

Also grateful that no M V P's appeared to answer. Those answers are never solutions at all, EVER.

August 22nd, 2011 11:55pm

Fuck you microsoft.  yet another asshole move.  Lets make it really fucking frustrating....

I find this sentiment to NOT BE ABUSIVE and is an accurate summary of the situation.

Thank you WindowsBlows if only our squeeky little voices made a difference.

My observation is this:  Even after disabling IE ESC as described above I am reminded with EVERY SINGLE page

that IE ESC is not turned on with a large yellow bar at the top.  Which is really annoying. Would love to turn off the yellow bar.

I find some obscure thing called    f i r e f o x    and     c h r o m e  working really well and frustration free.

I want less frustration.

Also grateful that no M V P's appeared to answer. Those answers are never solutions at all, EVER.

The real problem here, unfortunately, is not Microsoft.  I would love to blame them, but frankly it is not their fault this time.

Remember that lawsuite a while back?  Some company with a poor server administrator who had no clue how to secure his server ended up suing Microsoft for "not being secure".  So now we have Microsoft having to tow down to the layers so they don't get sued again.

And that means making everything way too difficult for those of us who understand exactly what we are doing and why we are doing it -- and bearing in mind the what's and why's have decided we do not want certain security features enabled in our environments.

Take them to court now and all they have to do is say the "made it very difficult to disable security features" and the jerk suing them "intentionally bypassed system safety measures"

• Proposed as answer by endyrx Tuesday, October 04, 2011 7:18 AM
September 22nd, 2011 2:58am

Is there a "Server Manager" in Windows Server 2003???

It seemed like your original question pertained to Server 2003....

November 29th, 2011 4:44am

Rudhra1 gave the definitive answer on Wednesday, August 17, 2011 3:40 AM

Thank you Rudhra1

January 21st, 2012 12:33am

sorry about the propose un-propose - thought it referred to what i was writing - i have disabled IE ESC so that all web pages open without its check - i did it thus _ went to control panel>programs and features>turn windows features on and off> security information>configure IE ESC - here is the option to turn on and off for administrator and/or users - after my doing this it was removed from IE and as mentioned web pages open without the pop up of ESC   
April 6th, 2012 5:20am

If anyone is interested in how to do this in Server 2008

Follow this tutorial:

Disable Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration - Windows Server 2008

I hope this helps!

• Proposed as answer by TheXternal Tuesday, June 12, 2012 9:05 AM
June 12th, 2012 12:04pm

Thanks!

It works for me.

June 19th, 2012 5:27pm

god only knows why this is enabled by default at all.  just another thing for administrators to have to disable by default on every single server.  Haven't met a single admin who ever leaves this enabled.

Hello, look at me and you will. ;) There's no single reason to make ALL servers able to browse internet. Maybe, terminal servers should. But the most of servers MUST be ESC-enabled. I think, security reasons are clear enough for all administrators.
April 24th, 2013 11:20pm

Found it finally.

Go to Server Manager
Click the top item in the tree to the left "Server Manager"
On the page that appears, go to "Security Information"
Look for "Configure IE ESC" on the right.

Perhaps IE ESC could be renamed to "IE Security"

Thanks Ian.
July 1st, 2013 4:53am

Sorry Mikey but I do not agree with your answer.

Law doesn't say you to continuously display the popup / notifications again and again on the windows.

It might be good that you display a popup once asking what would you like to do bla bla and take a response once.

Being a Quality Engineer my response is It's a bad design for sure which could have been avoided :) . Every one is not dumb enough with security that you bug them consistently.

Depinder Bharti

October 31st, 2013 9:32am

dun understand their intention,

it is to make it easier to find to disable, it should be always on

November 1st, 2013 4:25am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics